Translate

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Hunger Games

            From an old Greek myth springs a fantastic page-turner revolving around life and death. Suzanne Collins gave the old legend of King Aegeus of Athens choosing seven men and maidens to be sacrificed to the Minotaur a face-lift in this new, bestselling novel.
            Katniss, an illegal hunter living in a dreary district, fears the upcoming Hunger Games, an event she’s dreaded since birth. A male and female from each district surrounding the Capital must fight to the death in a gruesome arena while the rest of the citizens watch and pray their children might survive.
            Katniss must face her fear, a dangerous strategy plan, and uncharted feelings for a friend as she attempts to survive the ultimate challenge. The ultimate sacrifice. The Hunger Games.

I didn’t want to read this book. I didn’t want to go along with the crowd, who protested that this book was worthy enough to be a best-seller. The book seemed too different for my taste, considering I usually pull a thick fantasy volume off the shelf. After about three weeks of my best friend and my father nagging me to purchase it, I finally did.
They were right to nag me.
The Hunger Games can only be truly described in one word: impossible. Katniss is impossible. The Capital is impossible. The Hunger Games is impossible. Suzanne Collins (The Underland Chronicles) wove an incredible story. The intricacy and intimacy of the novel is mind-blowing. I cannot recommend a better page-turner.
My parents dragged me shopping while I read this. I spent the outing reading on a bench meant for trying on shoes. I couldn’t put it down. It’s that addicting.
Although I did love the book, I found the main character a bit hostile at times. The author intended to make her this way, but at times she agitated me. The story is science-fiction, but not as drastic as some novels can be. It takes place in the future, but the technology isn’t so far from ours and it is easy to understand.
This novel is incredible, and I would recommend it for anyone craving a good book. But beware: once opened, it will be impossible to put down.

2 comments:

  1. This was an amazing book. I could NOT put it down! From Katniss' sacrifice for her sister to her refusal to let the games atrocities take her and Peeta, it was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEFINITELY one of my favorites! It's compellingly addicting.

    ReplyDelete